Sunday 3 April 2011

Hessian 'micarta' work in progress

I thought I would make a start on my next knife , the only problem is I have run out of steel and Cromwell's are taking there time getting more in stock. Its been long enough for the hair to start growing back on my left arm.
So this is all a bit backwards , I'm starting on the handle first.

I first cut some hessian into pieces 4.5 x 8 inches long .Ten pieces are normally enough for a 6mm thick slab.
The resin I use is polyester fiberglass resin , a small cup full is normally enough





I work on a piece of greaseproof paper (it helps with the clean up) .I work the resin into the hessian with my fingers one sheet at a time until I have a stack of ten , making sure to get it nice and wet right into the corners







Once I have it all nice and sticky I wrap it up in the greaseproof paper and tape the edges with masking tape.
the neater you are at this the cleaner your floor will stay.






I use a couple of bits of 6mm aluminium as spacers to help keep the sides of the press parallel.
I have two bits of an old plastic cutting board to put the parcel between to keep the surfaces as smooth as possible and then into the press







As you can see my press is made up of two planks and some nuts and bolts . I find the G clamps stop the planks bending in the middle.
I leave it all clamped up for at least 12 hours ,so I will take some more photos tomorrow when I find out whether it has worked or not



Thanks for looking , if you have any question or comments feel free to use the comments box


Warren

No comments:

Post a Comment